Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hawaiian Highlights

Aloha again!  Here's a quick synopsis of my trip to Waikiki with my newest family!  

My poor "mom."  She was so stressed trying to get to the airport on time.  I kept saying, "don't worry!  Planes fly Hawaiian time."  Little did I know that they do not...they actually fly on time!   But we got there in plenty of time.  It had been so long since I had flown, I wanted a picture with me at the departure gate desk. 


Here are some of the travellers on this trip with me!  


These two were especially cute.  I was safe and sound in their hands.  


I'n not sure why the youngest girl of the family looking so odd in this picture.   She must be having some stress issues too!  Just like her mom.  


We got on the flight just fine but it was a long flight.  We got there quite late so no pictures of me on the flight.  But what I can say is that the food was terrible and overpriced.  Bleh.  Couldn't wait for some real food in Hawaii.    


One of the neatest adventures I had was at the Lagoon!  Oh, so pretty and zen.  I had forgotten how gorgeous the men view could be.    Just look at the background!  The calm water and blue sky.  AWESOME.  


Not my bestest angle, but I was looking out towards the beach.   Again, the beautiful view of men blue water.  Really a site to behold.  



Hang ten baby!  No trip to Hawaii is complete with a little surfing time.  SWEET. Caught a couple of great waves!  But paddling was really difficult with my small arms.   But I managed and it was totally worth it.  




After some surfing time,  I wanted to join in on the family activities which included playing in the sand!   I'm the Queen of the mountain!


Though, I think the kids built a moat around me so I couldn't run away.  That was one deep moat.  




Oooo...perched up off the ground.  The only problem is that birds think I'm food!   They keep circling me!  Shoo and don't poop on me!



Time for some more sand play!  I just love the feel of it in my feet.  Not sure if I could count on the kidlets to build something that could save me from the elements though.  I mean really!  Look at how spaced out these columns are!   Tsk, tsk.  



I wanted to snorkel but just couldn't find the right sized equipment.  Guess the market for hula girl sized snorkel sets is very small.  The kids seemed to be having a ton of fun in the water checking out fish, but I guess I'll have to sit this adventure out.   

Oh, finally some time to just mellow in the warm sand.  Being buried allowed the heat to really penetrate my body and help me with my sore muscles from surfing and sand time.   Ahhhhh.  Being a hula girl isn't easy.   =) 


Next cool memory, the Dole Plantation!  Check out the cool trees in the back.  That one with the sign is a mango tree.  Those sure are good!  

.


At the Dole Plantation, they have a train tour.  Yep, good old train number 18.   I got to sit right up front.  Sweet view.  Though, the birds must have followed me from the beach.  They were circling me once again!


The whole family must have felt some Hawaiian magic that day because they all wanted pictures with me to commemorate the moment.  


Awww...this is one of my favourite pictures of the family!  They're all smiling!



Woman...bring me some food!  Ok, I thought about saying that but didn't.  My mom would have probably broken my other arm.  But she must have read my mind as she brought back some good grub.  HI steak.  Wow.  SO good.  I ate it 4 nights in a row!  You bet I ate it all.  It's just fundamentally and morally wrong not to finish steak.  


I  missed being with the trees.  Though next time, I will remember to bring a hammock.  Climbing the trees was was very tiring and my feet kept getting tangled in the roots!



Hanauma Bay was really neat.  The sand was different and felt good.  Couldn't head out to the water though...again, no hula girl sized snorkel equipment.  And there was lots of coral and it would have cut into my feet.  The fish were huge here too!  No point in them thinking that I was food.  Though, the birds kept watching me thinking I was some big drumstick.  They're not very bright.  When have they ever seen a drumstick with a hula dress on?   



As I didn't have any snorkel equipment that could fit me, off to the aquarium.  I wanted to see all the fish that my family saw when snorkelling!    Check out some of the pictures of my new found friends too.  

Due to the lighting in the aquarium, it was very difficult to take  appropriate pictures.  But you get the drift.  



The drive around the island was great.  And how perfect.  I really felt like I was in the right place in the right time.  I mean, I'm sitting on the dash of the car!  Isn't that my purpose in life?!  Oh, if you could have seen me hula.  Swish, swish, swish.  I was totally in my element.  


Awww...I love this picture...but there is something missing.  Yeah, my initials!  Everybody was all excited about this tree and the garlic shrimp from this vendor that they forgot about my needs.  Ummm...hello?  This is a trip for me back to the motherland?  Don't I get initials in some tree too?  


My favourite memory was being on the beach in the North Shore.  The beach was pristine, the water just perfect for surfing, and the sound of the ocean was pure awesomeness.  


Look at those waves coming in.  I got to look out and see the incredible view of men waves, mountains and blue sky again.  I really can't tire of this.  


And here's the money shot.  The bestest memory for me was to have my feet on home soil.  There is nothing like it.   I will forever be indebted to my new family for taking me back home to visit.  


No comments: