Thursday, January 19, 2012

BFF

I've been a long time listener of 95.3. It's a good station and I get what I need from it. One of the shows I really enjoy is the afternoon show with Kiah and Tara Jean. They have this awesome chemistry, they're funny and seem to always get themselves in trouble. I follow them on Facebook just to see what they're up to. A couple of weeks back, I saw a post for Tara Jean looking for a new BFF.


Here's the ad if you're interested: http://vancouver.virginradio.ca/TaraJeanNeedsABFF.aspx


I have always adored Tara Jean. I think she's stinking funny and pretty down to earth. And I really wanted to meet her...so yes, I entered the contest to hopefully be one of her 10 dates in 10 days. But I didn't hear anything back so I thought I was out of the running. Fair enough, lots of interesting people out there and maybe my set of frienship skills isn't what she was looking for. Granted, it was Kiah who was doing all the choosing. But I thought, good for me for entering because at least I tried.


Fast forward to yesterday. I was in the car checking my Twitter account...yes, killing a couple of minutes before I went to the restaurant that I was meeting friends at. And there were some tweets on Twitter by Tara Jean about this contest. So I sent a tweet back asking her if all the contestants had been chosen. She answered no, but asked if I entered.  I tweeted her back saying I did, I wanted to be Scrabble buddies and asked Kiah (who was also part of the tweet) to pick me! Seriously...what did I have to lose?


Because I was short listed for next week (I didn't know that) and there was a cancellation suddenly, I ended up going today to meet Tara Jean! SWEET.


As I was getting ready to head down to Edible Canada, I started getting nervous. Ummm...I didn't quite realize that "scores" were put up on the website. And I had forgotten that she gets to review me and I get to review her on air. Everybody who listens to the station hears about it. EEEEK. What if she HATES me and I end up looking like a tool?! I'll never find any new friends!!!


Of course I checked out the previous scores of previous dates. Dang. They got HIGH scores. This could be very bad for me. But hey, I just told myself to suck it up because I was going and I was going to meet someone I've always wanted to meet.


I made it down and got the restaurant early. Decided I was going to study the menu. Yep...pick a food that I wouldn't embarass myself eating. And before I knew it, she showed up and conversation ensued!


I had a good laugh about her picking menu items. I didn't realize she wasn't a red meat eater. At least she had options at this restaurant...one one of her previous dates, she ended up going to Chop Steakhouse. 


Anyways, she wasn't sure about the duck fat fries. Heck, I ordered the fish and chips meal because it HAD the duck fat fries on the side. So I just told her to try it...if she hated it, no big loss to her. But if she liked it, she could always order more. These were the food items we ended up with:




Fish and Chips
Rice flour tempura, sesame cilantro coleslaw, crispy duck fat frites



 Roasted North Arm Farm BABY Beet Salad
Whipped fraser valley goat cheese, mustard greens


Crispy Cauliflower
Spinnakers brewpub malt vinegar - opted out of the capers



Creme Brulee
Infused with Chai Tea




Can't remember what this one was...but chocolate something!

How well did I do?  Well, I probably won't end up her bff...but I didn't stink up the joint and embarrass myself.  That's always a plus.  


The radio interview will be up soon at:


At least the portion I heard on the radio today, she thought I was funny, she had a great time and good chemistry.   I had a really good time and I got a chance to try out a new restaurant.  Overall, really great conversation about a ton of stuff with a person I've never met before, great experience and so glad I did it.  


Alright, what am I going to try next?  =)   

No comments: