Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hawaii - Day 1


Finally, off to Hawaii!  Specifically Waikiki. It has been about 15 years since I have last gone and I am so excited!  The purpose if the trip is really to surprise my mother in law.  She has always wanted a family trip.  My father in law started to plan for this surprise last year!

Our flight was out of Bellingham.  From out house, maybe a 1/2 hour drive or so.  But because it was the Thanksgiving long weekend, I was really worried about border line ups.  But out flight was at 5:40pm.  I thought I was going to barf because we didn't end up leaving the house until 2:30pm!!!  My husband calls me a nervous traveller.  When it comes to border line ups and catching a flight....yes, I can be very nervous.  

Good part is that we got there in plenty of time.  Since it was such a small airport, very quick to get through security. We met my brother in law (hubby's brother), sister and law and nephew there and all travelled together.  

We got to Hawaii just fine at about midnight.  And really, day 1 wasn't very exciting as that was our travel day.  Yes, we probably could have caught an earlier flight from Vancouver...but that would have cost an additional $450 per person.  Granted, we were very fortunate we did not have to pay for this, but still...for the father in law, that is a huge savings!

Off to the hotel we went. And if you've been there, you know that even "new" is old.  Our hotel was no exception.  But it was old enough where you could tell the hotel was originally only 17 floors.  We were on the 18th.    But you had to take the elevator to the 17th floor and then walk up 2 flights of stairs to get to the 18th.  OMG.  Can you imagine?  In the middle of the night with 3 tired children and luggage. 

But it doesn’t matter because we were in Hawaii!

No comments: