Sunday, July 19, 2009

Kids

There were times that I thought maybe my kids were a bit too close. But as the years go by, I'm glad that I had them 2 years apart. They are actually very, very close. And I hope that their relationship will continue to grow in the future years.

Last night was a real glimpse of how close they were. Saturdays are turning into marathon reading night...or at least has been for my oldest kid. On weekdays, both of the girls get to read in bed for a little bit before turning out the lights to go to bed. I don't let them read too long as the next day is a school day.
I know my eldst love readings! And I want to continue to nurture that love of reading. So, on Saturdays, I've been allowing her to read until she falls asleep. And usually, it's only about a half hour later than when she would normally fall asleep so I don't feel guilty at all.

Because my youngest has also found the love of reading, my husband and I thought it would be fun for her to start her marathon Saturday reading. She was so excited!

But after about 10 minutes, I heard her starting to cry. Then she came down the stairs. I thought she was scared because she heard a noise. Nope. That wasn't it. Maybe she didn't like her books. Nope, that's not it either.

"Hey kiddo, why are you crying, are you ok?"

"I'm lonely."

"You're lonely? But you have people in the house that love you. You should be having fun reading right now?"

"But I'm lonely." Crocodile tears continue....

And my husband made a good point. As a kid, she's never had a life without her older sister. She's done everything with her. And soon as I suggested that she have a "sleep over" in her sister's room, all was good. They giggled, they played, they read. Within minutes, they were asleep side by side, peaceful, content. Bonds like that are amazing...how lucky that they have each other.

No comments: