Sunday, August 28, 2011

Technology

Ooooo. I love technology. We really do live in an amazing time where we can do so much and we have so much technology to help us. Though, it's not always welcome, I'm always amazed the ideas that come out.

And I think of this as I was watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition with my kids. That's such a good family show. Anyways, they had a mom and dad that were both blind, one kid that was deaf and that was "normal." As a mom, I can't even imagine losing my sight and having to do all that a mom does. Losing my sight would be frightening enough. But to do everything while blind? Yeeesh!

But I loved all the technology in the house and technology that they gave this couple to assist them. Sound domes so they can hear the translation of the movies but only they listen to it under this dome...that way they can still enjoy the movie with their kids but the kids can watch it like a regular movie. They had a barcode scanner for in/out of the house...take the machine, scan the barcode on an item and a voice lets you know what the item is. OMG. How awesome! Imagine having CANS and CANS of stuff in your house/items in the fridge and knowing what it is. And I loved how this blind couple could choose to read a book. They take a book, put it under a machine and the machine reads it for them.

I know some of this stuff has been around for a while. But it just goes to show that folks that have disadvantages can live a full life. Love it!

No comments: