Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Love

When I came to Canada, my dad had me in a number of daycares/with family daycares. And I would have nothing to do with those places. OMG. Apparently, I just cried and cried. But fate would have it that I would be matched up with an Italian family as my caregiver.

Imagine my dad, knowing no English when he first got here...trying to communicate with this Italian family who also barely knew any English. I have no idea how in the world they did it...but they did.

And fast forward 36 years and I'm still in touch with this family. They've been through every milestone in my life with me. They watched me grow up, they had a very large part in helping me grow into the person that I am today, and they're also part of my kid's life. I love it.

What I love even more is the love this Italian couple shares. Their love is truly rare. I believe they're celebrating something like their 60th anniversary this year. Kudos. You would think that after 60 years, you could do with a little time to yourself. But I am sadly mistaken.

The wife had to go to Italy to deal with some family related stuff. So the husband stayed here. I called last night to just say hello, let them know I was thinking of them and just wanted to see what was new with them. The husband told me that the wife was away and how much he missed her. She'll be coming back tomorrow but it will have been 3 weeks away from each other. He missed her so much that you could hear it in his voice, how lonely he was, and just how much he truly loved her. And I know the wife so well too, she is probably just as sad missing him. After all this time, and yet they sounded like they were just married and in the honeymoon stage. I'm sad that they miss each other, but it really is inspirational that after all this time, they can still love each other this much.

And on a totally different note, if you're Catholic like these two AND you make it to a 50th wedding anniversary, you can write to the pope and he'll send you a signed certificate (and it's HUGE) to wish you a happy 50th. Totally worth staying together for! =)

No comments: