Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Medicare

I have friends in the states who are against the Medicare plan. To me, this plan is similar to what we have at home. Honestly, the only medical costs that I really think about are any drug related costs, i.e. antibiotics, etc. Every appointment I have, never even think about having to pull out my cheque book.

Why are they against it? Because some think that they would be subsidizing drug users and others who abuse themselves...they don't deserve medical treatment. Hey, to each their own. And there probably is some merit.

But how many times have I entered a doctor's office and thought about how much a test would cost? Never. My drug costs, bearable. Cost of me giving birth to children, a lot. If I had to pay for my husband's surgeries? I'd be homeless.

This safety net we have is precious. Does it have some holes and needs some fixing? Yep, but I'll take that any day.

No comments: