Thursday, August 26, 2010

Decisions

Sometimes, I can only shake my head at the decisions that managers make. However, I also understand that some decisions are made because of reasons that are unknown to peons such as myself. I accept that. These folks get paid the "big" money to determine certain things, to stick by their decision and live with the consequences.

However, there are times that even peons like me need to say something. One of my co-workers basically was denied some training. The reasons, well, there didn't seem to be any. And the option provided did not make sense. And even the director was somewhat confused.

Today was not a good day for management to be confused or to make a crazy deciion about denying someone's training for no reason or a mediocre reason.

As the learning coordinator in the office, I have a responsibility to ensure that certain training happens. If training is denied, it better be for a good reason.

I marched into the director's office, talked about the act that governs this type of training, talked about the reasons why this person should not be denied, gave him the history, etc. I laid it on pretty thick because it just didn't make sense she was denied. Now, even though I laid it on thick, I know I was respectful. This was about standing up for a fellow employee.

And who knows? Best case scenario is that this decision is reversed. But I don't know unless I try. I'm hoping for some good news for my fellow co-worker.

1 comment:

Kel said...

hear hear!! oi oi oi!