Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Friday

On Friday, I had the opportunity to have a wonderful night out with a past manager. We had dinner at the restaurant and ended up staying for 4.5 hours! That's a lot of yapping.

But the beauty of that night was to see her as a mentor. As a previous boss, I found her easy to deal with. It's not that she let me get away from anything. But she was a full supporter of me (and many other employees) but expected that all work was completed. Because work was completed, she never had an issue with me.

Being able to talk to her about life and just work experiences was amazing. She really gave me some good insight, some great advice and she was just an amazing sounding board. It's moments with her like this that I truly miss her at work. I also think that much of our department misses out on her leadership.

It's people like her that make you think that there are some great managers out there. One that can bring out the best in everybody and tries to empower them as much as possible. Pretty rare this day and age.

No comments: