Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mandarin

My daughter is currently taking Mandarin lessons. She's repeating last year and I'm so ok with that. First of all, she's young. Secondly, she doesn't speak Mandarin at home. It'll give her a better foundation to do better in this language. Sometimes things just work out. Just so happens that one of her bestest friends from her last daycare is in the Mandarin class too!

However, I realize I need to step it up. So, I've been speaking Mandarin at home. I've been using language games. I've been practicing the Mandarin alphabet and reading her homework with her. It's tiring for me. Must be difficult for her. But the thought of strawberry and cream jelly beans keeps her very motivated.

Most parents at the Mandarin school treat me very nicely. They know that my main Asian language is Cantonese. Though, I can read anything that is in the Mandarin alphabet and I can damn well understand what people are saying. I lack practice in speaking. So most parents take mercy on me and are patient with my Mandarin or they just practice their own English.

However, this first week of Chinese school, I was totally annoyed with this one chick. First of all, she was dressed to the 9s. I have no problem with people dressing well, but it seems so out of place when dropping your kid off at SATURDAY chinese school. However, that's judgemental on my part. But the one mother that I got to know this weekend (the mom of the same kid that is in my daughter's class) was so sweet to me, but she was also friends with the well dressed lady. So, while we're all there chatting, the lady in the 9s just chatted in Mandarin and totally would not address any comments to me. But the other mom that was sweet to me would talk to both of us.

I know the lady that was dressed well probably thinks I'm some loser banana. I know that if any parent brought their kid to a lesson that my kid was going to, I'd welcome them with open arms if they wanted to talk. We're all there for the same reason...to provide our kids with some lessons that hopefully will help them out in life. Maybe we could all learn a little something from each other.

I'll just ignore her completely next week. It'll make for a better Saturday.

No comments: