Friday, September 12, 2008

Books

I love books. Reading is fun and it's so great to be transported someplace else. I try not to read historical or totally depressing books (i.e. Oprah's Book Club...ok, except for Eat, Pray, Love...that was worth every minute). But of course, there's limited time and energy to read. There are days when I pick up a book and can only get through 2 pages. I'm asleep by then!

I also love meeting authors of books too. So far, 2. That would be Belinda Jones (met for drinks and another lunch date) and Gabor Maté. He's a doctor that writes some pretty amazing books. And it was just neat to see him at a book reading, talk about his experiences.

So, imagine my glee when I found out I won a book contest. To non-book worms, this would be the worst event EVER. But at this event, I get to attend with book publishers to hear the newest books rolling out this fall. The authors of these books will also be there. I'm hoping that they'll discuss, read and answer questions from the crowd. If I remember correctly, they'll be a couple of authors.

I'm pretty excited. Or maybe my life is sad. Whatever side you want to pick. But I always find it so amazing how authors come up with their stories, what stage they were at in life when they created the book, and to see if they were what I imagined.

I'm dragging my girlfriend along too. She's being a great sport about it all. Or maybe, she just wants to get away from the office like me. =)

No comments: