Monday, November 1, 2010

Unions

Recently, I went to a vote as our union has forwarded us our tentative agreement. For once, I actually read it, thought about it, went to an information session and asked questions. Normally, I wouldn't, but there is a clause in this collective agreement that I'm not really liking.

I get that bargaining is tough. And I respect those that are willing to put out their necks to do it, because I'll be honest, I wouldn't want to do it. But sometimes I find that our numbers is actually a detriment to bargaining rather than a strength. If the union negotiated a .5% increase for 170,000 people, that's a lot of people and money versus having a .5% increase for a union that only has 25,000 people. I'm not going to drag on about this...but I voted my conscience and let's see what the outcome will be.

I just think that maybe our union should focus on the bargaining rather than trying to find an insurance company to provide me cheap auto insurance quotes. The union is working with I don't know who, but I keep getting mail about cheaper insurance in all aspects of my life. Why don't we talk about bargaining with the government again and taking severance OFF the table this time...thanks.

No comments: