Monday, November 1, 2010

Canadian or Chinese

The other day, my eldest daughter's daycare teacher pulled me aside because she wanted to tell me something. So I walked over to the other end of the daycare to chat with her. I don't usually like these conversations because it probably means my kid screwed up.

So the teacher starts telling me what my daughter said on the bus that morning:

Teacher, I was looking at photos of my mom last night. She was younger and in some, she was a baby. And did you know that when she was a baby, she was Chinese? And she was born in Hong Kong?

I had such a good laugh!! But I found it so interesting that my daughter didn't see the colour of my skin. She just saw me as mom and saw me as Canadian, not really Chinese. Wouldn't it be nice if everybody saw skin colour the way my kid did? Sure would take away a lot of problems.

No comments: