Saturday, November 13, 2010

Passport Office

Well, I guess everybody had the same idea as me on Friday, November 12th. It was a Pro-D day for kids. And it was after Rememberance Day...perhaps if I go early enough, everybody will be sleeping still and I'll zip in and out of the passport office quickly for my 2 kid's passports. Yeah right! Wishful thinking.

Thank goodness I got my kids to bring activities, books and toys with them. But even then, the crowds and noise was making them antsy and "bored." Thank you iPhone for saving my sanity today.

And anytime I have to just wait, I people watch and I just watch my surroundings. I think I'm always amazed at how unprepared people are sometimes. People stuff their IDs in their purse and then when they get to the counter, they can't remember where they put it. They realize that they didn't fill in the form correctly. You get the idea.

And then the surroundings. This time I focussed on the numbers on the board. They ranged from letter A - F and then a number after that. I figured that can't be by coincidence. So I tried to figure out what the numbers were for.

When it was time to go to the counter, I was actually in and out very quickly because I just had everything ready to go. But because my applications for my kids were so quick, I thought I'd ask the clerk what the letters mean before the numbers. Amazing what you learn. She said that I got a D letter because D ones are for children applications and complicated ones. No one wants those. Uh huh. Thanks for making me feel special. But those are all the custody battles, lost IDs, lost passport types of applications.

Those with F are for urgent applications. And then the clerk started to laugh...EVERY clerk wants the A ones. those are for easy, no problem, for the applicant only type of applications. Guess I learned something new.

Well, at least this D number was an easy D application.

No comments: