Friday, May 13, 2011

Portland - Day 1

The next couple of entries will be a little different. First of all, I'm writing in a different order so that when you read about the Portland trip, you can start here and continue reading down rather than having to scroll all the way up.

Secondly, I have some guest writers this time around. These two ladies will introduce themselves and provide highlights of the the Portland trip too. So, let me get started with Day 1!

I love roadtrips!! And I love roadtrips that are with some great peeps! I took a small roadtrip with these two ladies last year when we headed off to Seattle. We had a blast and couldn't wait to do another trip together. We thought Portland was a great idea because it was far enough, but close enough we didn't have to take a plane. There were "rumours" that this was a food cart mecca. And really, tax free shopping...need I say more?

We've been chatting about this trip and planning for it for months. From coloured coded maps, to checking out Food Network recommendations, to finding coupons and to finding "neat" places to go...we had all the bases covered. We were ready!

And so, it was time to go on our trip. On the morning of, the peeps drove to my place to pick me up. First small snag, the George Massey Tunnel. Poor things were stuck in the middle of rush hour traffic. But they eventually made their way here.

After some goodbyes to my family, it was off to the border! Ugh. Only to have to wait. We were probably there for an hour...but it sure beat the waits the next day of 5 hours! Once over the border, we had to go to Jack in the Box! Woo hoo! Last time we got stuck with some worker there that wouldn't stop talking to us. Maybe the place doesn't get a lot of Asians. Anyways, no new antenna balls for me to pick up (strike 1) but some good greasy eats.

We started to make our way down South. Easily driving through Bellingham and Seattle. We even opted to go in the HOV lane as the traffic was moving quickly in that lane. Me and the driver were yapping about something while our friend in the back was settling in to take a nap. More like, me and the driver were yapping about Back Street Boys (woo hoo, they rock!) and the back seat passenger was going to take a nap to ignore us.

We started to slow down as the traffic in front of us was completely stopped in all lanes. But before we could totally come to a complete stop, we were hit from behind with another vehicle! DANG. I'm all for bumping into people, but this is not what I had in mind! And really, if you're going to hit us with your vehicle, be cute or something. And something he was not. Strike 2 for us!

Oh...mullet man. I'll give you props for actually stopping and asking if we were ok. But mullet man...you're getting in some deep doo-doo. Not only did you not report your accident, you outright said you didn't have enough insurance you were under your parent's insurance. You outright said you were going to come up to Canada to pay for the damage. Mullet man. You're going down.

(Editor's note: visually may not be "impressive" as a big accident...but it ended up being $7,000 in damage!)



So after we get the guy's information down, I took pictures of his car and license plate, etc., the driver decides to tell us that her fortune teller has told her she'd be in a lot of car accidents. Well, kudos to the fortune teller for getting this right. LOL!

So instead of heading straight to Portland, we spent the next couple of hours making sure that we were ok and making sure we documented everything so our mullet man couldn't get away with anything. This includes adventures in:

* looking for a police station. It's as if this station is in the middle of a fricken forest. And when we get there, it's closed! But we got to drive through the sticks of a city called the City of Lainey.

* using the nastiest payphone outside of the closed police station to contact the police about this accident. We were told to fill in a collision report. Paperwork while on holidays?!

* using this same nasty payphone to call our extended medical to report the accident. What's funny about this incident is that we were there, in the middle of a forest, in the freezing wind all huddled around this phone receiver providing our information while people were wandering into City Hall with yoga mats. After the yoga lesson which was an hour long...us 3 gals were STILL outside on this same nasty payphone giving our information.

* heading to St. Peter's Providence Hospital. Admissions nurse did a quick triage and gave us pagers (yeah, like in restaurants when it's your turn to be seen). And within 5 minutes of getting the pager, we got called in 1 at a time. Got to see a lovely doctor, got checked out, got some ibuprofen. By the time we were signed out and released, they were just doing the "admissions" paperwork. Now that's fast! My kind of hospital visit.




Check out the proof we were really there! Yeah, JC is in the house too!







So having done the visits, we were ready to hit the road again. By then, it was starting to get dark and we still had a good 3 hour drive. But hey, we needed some food. Bad call on my end...I made everybody eat at Panda Express. Let's just say I cook better than these guys...and that's not saying a lot. Strike 3 for the trip.

We eventually found our way to the hotel. By this point, we were all tired. And I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the stairs we had to climb to get to the room. Really?! And after getting into the room, there was still reports to fill out, contact ICBC, etc. We wanted to do all the paperwork and calls so we could just enjoy the next couple of days.

When it was time to finally go to sleep, I went to sleep. I was in the sofabed, rolled over, and in a very short period of time, I was snoring away. But before I did, I could hear my peeps in the bed whispering and giggling. I had to laugh. I heard my dad's voice in my head..."you already saw each other all day and spent every minute together. What more do you have to talk about?" Well, these two peeps definitely had tons to chat about. I was looking forward to some sweet dreams and the start of day 2.

2 comments:

Miss T said...

Lacey! City of Lacey, Washington! Not Lainey! LOL!

Peachy said...

LOL T!!! It was late last night. Remember, I'm the one that goes to sleep at 9:30.

I'll pass on pictures to you and K!