Monday, May 9, 2011

Caring

I was at Safeway with my youngest the other day. I love this particular one because they have pint sized carts for kids to use so they feel like they're really taking part of the shopping process. I always put things in her cart...especially all the things she likes and she really enjoys that.

Well, after loading up our carts, time to pay for our food. As I was waiting for the newbie cashier to get all my coupons right and take my money, my kid kept swatting my hand to move it. She must have done it 5 times in a row and I was getting thoroughly annoyed considering the newbie cashier was taking forever and my kid was just swatting me like I was a fly!

When I finally asked her what she was doing...she just looked at me with this big doe eyes and pointed. The kid can read and she read well considering she's not even in kindergarten. She saw a warning sign that hands and hair should be away from this separate conveyer belt as it could easily get caught and you could lose a hand, etc.

I asked her if she did that because she was worried I'd lose my hand. "Yes momma. I love you and don't want you to get hurt." How can you be mad at a kid after they tell you that?! You don't. I was immediately apologetic to her for getting mad at her and thanked her immensely for caring and for making sure I was safe. Hey, for any parent out there that watches the Safety Patrol..."safety first!"

So for all those times I'm going nuts because of the kids and trying to teach them...it's moments like this that makes me think I must have taught them something right.

No comments: