Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pet Peeve

Everybody has pet peeves. I also have my share of them. And I bet because I'm talking about all of this, I don't even realize that I'm doing it myself.

My one pet peeve has always been when people ask "how are you" and then proceed to answer for you. So literally, the conversation goes like this:

"Hey, how are you? You must be stressed...you must be happy after what happened."

But my response is usually the opposite of the person. Then I end up having to justify or argue to this person why I'm not feeling the way that they were expecting me to feel. So these conversations go like this:

"Hey, how are you? You must be stressed/you must be happy after what happened."

"Um, no. Actually I'm not stressed about the current situation."

"Well, why not? That would be stressful to me and it looked stressful."

"Well, it wasn't to me. I feel ok and I feel that I've been handling things just fine. Maybe my face looks stressed, but I'm probably concentrating."

"No, I'm sure you are totally stressed out."

"No, I'm not." And I think to myself, yeah, I'm starting to stress out because you won't shut up about how I feel!

Honestly, one of the most important lessons that someone taught me was this...if you're going to ask someone "how are you" then make sure you're ready for an answer. Whatever that answer is. But never answer for people. It pisses people off...people like me.

1 comment:

---> G <--- said...

what's worse, is when people ask, "why are you mad?" when nothing is wrong, and they keep asking...and then soon, their asking gets u mad. aaaaaaaaargh!!