Monday, March 29, 2010

School

I recently went to my daughter's parent-teacher conference. Or should I say, student led conference. Basically my daughter walked me through everything that I would want to know about her life and her work at school. The teacher provided a checklist for her so she could ensure that everything was covered. Interesting way of doing things. And I suppose what they call empowering.

It was kind of neat to see all the different activities, how they learn math, and what level my daugher could truly read at. But what was most amazing to me was how much she's learned in terms of reading and writing. I was actually stunned. At the beginning of the year, everything was sounded out and it was painful to read.

"I red a buk." Ouch.

But by the last entry, she had written full sentences, fully articulated how she felt about something, described something in detail and had no spelling mistakes. It was really incredible!

Nice job to my kid for grasping all of it...but thank you to this teacher and all the other teachers that help our children learn such amazing things!

No comments: