Friday, March 5, 2010

Post Olympics

Well, my time with Coca-Cola and the Olympics has come and gone. I'm in withdrawal. I started my journey with Coca-Cola during the summer of 2009. From that period on until February, I had communication from the company...but it didn't feel real. When I started my training on February 6th, only then did the journey really start for me.

And even though I knew it would be an interesting aspect of my life, I never thought it could be so amazing. For a 3 week gig, it has been the best job of my life with so many incredible experiences.

First of all, Coca-Cola really is an amazing employer. I'm sure if I stuck with them long enough, maybe I'd start seeing the "not so great stuff" that is in every workplace. But during my time with them, I was struck with how they treat their employees well so that their employees will work extra hard for them. For example, 2 buffet meals were provided to me each day while on a 10 hour shift. Ummm...we are talking about AMAZING buffets. I got free massages. Every time it was time for the next wave of guests to come through, we got great gifts to thank us on doing an amazing job with our guests in the previous wave. I had the most supportive and wonderful manager. She trusted us to do our job and never hovered. She was so amazingly supportive. And more importantly, everybody was part of a team there. No matter who I called, they graciously helped me with my questions until I got what I needed. No attitude. No painful questioning. Just pure support with a smile on their face. And I'm not kidding when EVERYBODY lived the mantra of "there is no problem here, only solutions." I even heard someone say that with a smile and then proceeded to actually find a solution to something that was difficult.
Having an amazing employer at any time in your career is rare. So I really cherish this and knowing what an incredible workplace could be like.

Secondly, I loved all the innovation that Coca-Cola has! Besides amazing products that were available, they also had amazing machines! Oh, I'm such a geek. My favourite was the FreeStyle machine. Basically, over 100+ flavours...and you can pick and choose. So my favourite to date is the Strawberry Fanta and Grape Sprite. Yeah, you get the idea. But in terms of innovation, they really are out of the box thinkers. I was at a hotel downtown, and because they wanted a unique hospitality lounge, they drained the swimming pool and built the hospitality tent OVER the pool. Functioning kitchen, bar, electricity, etc. And it was STUNNING.

Thirdly, I was in awe of the people I met. Yes, the staff were amazing...all of them with very unique stories. Many having worked previous Olympics which made them even more interesting. And the guests that I met? Well, if I were not on this program, I would never meet them in real life. Here's a small sample of folks:

* founder of Fox Productions, communications mogul for Expedia, Paramount
* famous artist
* co-founder of Black-Berry
* billionaires (yes, more than 1)
* CEOs of major corporations and magazines
* paralympians and olympic athletes that have won previous medals
* worked with a descendent of Benjamin Franklin

I could go on and on. And honestly, 99.8% were all amazing people, gracious and sweet. To hear some of their stories and just to chat with them on a regular basis was so wild for me. I know that in my regular life, I would never have a chance to meet these people.

Fourthly, I got to go to some amazing events. My favourite being the Closing Ceremonies. I was so happy to go...but I have to admit, I was incredibly sad at the same time. If there was ever a time that I wanted all my family and friends to be with me, that was definitely one of those times. It was such an incredible event that I only wanted to share with everybody I knew.

And last but not least, Coka-Cola has the biggest and most incredible parties EVER. Yes, an acrobat. Yes, a whole bar made out of ice with a special coke ice sculpture that you pour your drink into to make extra cold. Yes, amazing food. Yes, amazing entertainers.

To truly summarize my experience with Coca-Cola would be extremely difficult. As my manager said to me at training, "you will experience something that nobody else can understand except for those that have been on the program. You will be left with only amazing memories that will change your life and your outlook on life forever." I didn't quite believe her...but it's obvious she knows what she's talking about.

So, I look forward with the hopes of doing the summer olympics at London 2012 with Coca-Cola again. But if it doesn't pan out, then I am left with the bestest memories and for that, I am so grateful.

No comments: