Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fiscal Year End

Ahhh...March 31st. D-day. Well, at least for most government departments. It's the last day of the current fiscal year. Tomorrow is a new day, new money (well, we assume and only if the budget ever comes in on time) and new challenges.

And as part of this new fiscal cycle, that also means a new learning plan for me and a closing out of my old plan. This plan is really my goals and objectives for the year in terms of work, career progression and learning needs. I must say that our department is quite amazing at following through on these plans and they really do measure us to these plans. I'm really happy with the outcomes and my boss was gracious in her praise, provided extremely supportive comments to help me get out of my box and to be better than I can be, and basically, extremely pleased with my work. So good, I'm not fired...at least not for another year. That's always a plus.

But on the flip side of good news like this, there is always drama at the workplace, personalities to deal with and just crap jobs that I don't want to do. But work really is just work. And I was suddenly given another reminder that even though we should take work seriously, it really is not the end all be all.

Recently, my ex co-worker and friend had a stroke and sustained head injuries when she fell while having the stroke. She's currently on life support and I'm not really sure what's going to happen. However, the updates do not look good and I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm glad that the family has come together to be by her side, to assist with getting her back to Vancouver (as she was down in Palm Springs when this happened), and they are truly pulling together as a family to be strong for one another.

There honestly isn't much I can do to help her get better except to send good vibes, hope for the best and visit...even though she won't know I'm there. But if this isn't a reality check and reminder for me to just leave work at work, I don't know what is. I've been good at doing it in the past, I just have to keep on remembering. Life can change in an instant and you can lose all that is important to you in your life.

Thinking of you Helen.

No comments: