Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Regrets

I really try to live my life and make choices that I will not regret in the long run. Do I have some? Sure I do but I believe that they're small regrets and I can live with them. But regret is an ugly thing. So, I want to be able to forgive myself so that at the end of my life whenever that may be, I want to be able to die peacefully knowing that I didn't regret any action or inaction during my life.

For example, I have a co-worker (frick, everything is about co-workers today) that mentioned something about being regrettful about some choices she made recently. Too me, it was about a job she didn't take. And the regret has been eating her up and I can see that it's actually adding to some of her bitterness.

I told her that whatever decision she did make, she needs to let go. Regret will eat you up inside and will take you down the bitter road. Life just isn't pleasant and you start missing out on all the great things that are in your life. You miss out on all that life has to offer because you're still stewing over this one decision.

Forgive yourself and move on. Probably easier said than done. But there's nothing you can change about that decision now as it's over and your life has taken on a different trajectory based on those choices. But it doesn't mean that the choices that come to you will be bad. It might bring about better options that you didn't know existed. So live in the present rather than thinking about the past.

No comments: