Saturday, September 5, 2009

Listening

As a parent, sometimes you talk to your children and you don't know if they're really listening. Especially when it comes to important messages. I know I must sound like a broken record, but there are some things that when I think it's a good opportunity, I'll just start talking about it with them. For example, the topic of strangers.

I don't want to freak the daylights out of them, but I think it's important to tell them what they need to do, how to interact with strangers, etc. You just never know these days.

So, imagine how happy I was when I found out that at least one of my kids listen to me. My dad had both of my kids this week. And he happened to take my youngest kid out to go to the local pharmacy to pick up up something quickly. She was ok with going as she's been there plenty of times and knows the staff there. However, this one day, there happened to be a pharmacist that my kid did not know. My dad and the pharmacist talked, got caught up and had some good laughs. Then she turned her attention to my kid. And this is how the conversation went:

Pharmacist: Hey, it's so great that you're here with Grandpa. How about a treat? You see all these chocolates and candies? Pick anything you want.

Kid: No thank you.

Pharmacist: Why not?

Kid: You're a stranger.

Pharmacist: That's a good answer, and that's good that you listen to your parents. But I'm your grandad's friend. Why don't you pick a treat?

Kid: No, thank you. Your still a stranger because you're not my momma's friend.

! NICE. I was so proud of my little girl and it just gave me a little boost to know that maybe I am doing something right as a mother.

No comments: