Thursday, April 2, 2009

ER

The show...not me going to the ER. Let's start off with that!

Tonight was the series finale of ER. I can't believe that show has been on for 15 years and I probably watched at least a good 10 of those years. That's a LOT of fricken time. I even remember the first episode that aired...Carol Hathaway who tried to commit suicide and was being brought to the ER. I'm a fan, what more can I say? I even watched this series while in other countries...didn't know what the hell they were saying while in Switzerland or Paris. But it was ER!

So tonight was an opportunity to see these folks one last time. It was so great to see past faces and story lines tying up. It was also an episode that resonated strongly for myself and my husband. There was a part that had to do with a pregnant woman and what happened to her. (If you haven't seen in or plan to, don't read anymore as it will give away part of the plot!)

She was basically giving birth and started to hemorrhage badly. Though I didn't get to the point of this woman, I still had to go to the operating room. I remember my time in there and it wasn't pleasant. But it was just as hard for my husband as he didn't know what the hell was happening and was helpless. That was a really hard moment for us. Watching the show kind of brought it all back. But it's a moment to help us realize how grateful we are for our health and each other.

I'll miss the show for so many reasons. I feel like I grew up with these folks. I thought they tackled so many fascinating aspects of human morality, life and death, and research. There are not that many shows that survive this length of time. Yet this one did. I'm so sorry to see it go....

No comments: