Friday, November 11, 2011

Remembrance Day

I think many people have lost sight of what Remembrance Day is. I'm seeing Remembrance Day sales (crass), hearing about people stealing from poppy donation boxes (bloody unbelievable), people celebrating..etc., etc. The one thing everybody seems to be talking about is this whole 11/11/11...and how it's a great day to be married. I'm not saying that today should be a day where people mourn all day.

But holy smokes people...take a moment and remember why we have this day. Remember to thank a veteran today for the service and sacrifices they made so that we could have what we have. I hate wars. I hate the idea that we're fighting "them." And I wish we never had to have this day...but we do.

Today, I think back to being in Paris by the Arc de Triomphe and seeing the grave of an unknown soldier. I remember how sad I felt. This is one person who has yet to find their way home to their family. Yet, I can only imagine how scared he might have been having to be in battle fighting for his country. How much he must be missed. So forget the sales, forget that Christmas is just around the corner, forget telling somebody Happy Remembrance Day and just remember why today exists.

No comments: