Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Being a Mom

Part of being a mom is dealing with sick kids. But it's not a part I like at all because it's very energy draining and it totally sucks to see your kid suffer. Both of my kids were very sick last week. But one is much better. However, my youngest got a full blown ear infection starting last night. UGH. I hate those!

So this morning, I stayed at home to do some work before the clinic opened. I finally got to go and waited over 2 hours. The only problem is that my kid was feeling so lousy and was in so much pain she started to cry at the clinic. She was in pain and I know she wasn't faking it. I tried to distract her, tried to calm her down...and she really was being a trooper. I'm always amazed at the tears that come out of little beings...so many!

I was "happy" when the visit was over because I could go and get some antibiotics for her. When we got to the local pharmacy, I could tell there was a problem. The pharmacist just had that "look" and then said, I'll be right back. When he came back, he told me that the drug is in short supply and it's been back ordered for 6 months. Apparently there is a global shortage of this one antibiotic. What the...?! He went on about his conspiracy theories...interesting, yes. But today was not the day.

The pharmacist had to discuss options with the doctor twice...finally, the one drug that could be used was found and was in stock. So this is 40 minutes that I've been in the store by now. When I finally go and pick up the drugs, the pharmacist then has the "look" again. OMG. I just want to go home as does my kid! She's feeling so miserable! He calls the doctor again because the dosage seems much too high for her. Actually, I'm glad he took the time to make sure it was the right dosage, but of all days? Finally we get home and my kid is just worn out from crying and being in pain. Don't blame her. I gave her the meds, she ate a bit and then she went to go rest. Thank goodness I could work at home today so I could keep up on the work and take the kid to the clinic. Let's hope for a good night tonight and she's well on the road of healing.

No comments: