Monday, June 6, 2011

Testing and the Canucks

Every first Saturday of June, I go and proctor. It's a long day...but it's good for a variety of reasons, including income and catching up with people.

This time, I worked with 2 people I didn't work with before, and one that I had. The 2 I hadn't worked with before were awesome! And the one girl was so sweet and just so easy to talk to...I wanted her as a sister.

The one guy I did work with before was fun to see again. Though I was "sad" to hear that he wasn't achieving work life balance. I don't know what I asked, but he just started to pour out his life story to me. Well, we chatted and I'm hoping that in 6 months time when I see him in December, he'll have made some good changes and be happier.

Anyway, this day of testing was a little different because it is during the Stanley Cup Finals. My goodness, the sea of Canucks jerseys and t-shirts was pretty cool. There were 1,300 people testing...and there were a LOT of Canucks fan out there. Every single person I saw in my area with a Canucks jersey/shirt on, I asked if they were anxious...about the game. LOL! Of course they were! And they were anxious in finishing their exam so they could go watch.

In perspective, this exam is really a make it or break it moment in terms of their careers. Make it, and right off the bat, get a $10,000 to $20,000 raise. Fail it, you still paid close to a grand for the exam and you have to wait to write it again in 6 months. If you're in the higher level and fail, you have to wait a whole year before you get to write gain.

So imagine my suprise that people started to leave in droves and early during the afternoon testing session...to go catch the game. I have had folks leave early...but these folks were rushing so they could get out to watch the puck drop. Now THAT is a die hard fan.

Hope they all passed and hope they all had a good time celebrating the Canucks 2nd game win.

1 comment:

T said...

Go CANUCKS Go! Or as K's little daughter would say "GO GO, GO GO!" LOL!