Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mascots

Being a mascot isn't all fun and games. If you happen to be a well loved mascot like Mickey Mouse, you're just not going to get a lot of respect. So when companies/events, etc., choose their mascots they should really think about it.

I've been a mascot and believe me, you need a side kick when you're not a popular one, or at least in my case, one that nobody really knows. It's only safe to have a side kick with you to ward off all the crazy children that want to kick you in the groin or those adults that just want to push you.

Anyways, I'm telling you all this because I was driving around doing some errands when my youngest daughter pointed out a mascot. I looked and I couldn't quite tell what it was. But this blue mascot was giving something to a young child on a bike. And you could tell this little child was scared and confused about what the hell this thing was.

As I got closer, I noticed that the sidekick was a bottle of shampoo for Great Clips. I told my daughter that, and then I started to laugh uncontrollably. I don't know...it just seemed so sad to have a "bottle of shampoo" giving out coupons or something. He didn't even have a conditioner side kick/buddy with him. And I felt TERRIBLE for this mascot because it was hot and it was a felt like costume. To top it off, my daughter is adamant that it's a bottle of hairspray. No, it was a bottle of shampoo.

I always treat mascots nicely because really, it's not the nicest job in the world. And I guess I feel extra sorry for the bottle of shampoo who looks like a bottle of hairspray. At least be a mascot that someone understands....

No comments: