Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lipdub and Make A Wish

I graduated from UBC many, many years ago. But I do have fond memories of the place. If I could redo a segment of my life, university life would be it. So, I was all excited about the UBC libdub. If you haven't seen the video, well, just watch it here:



At the end of the video, the credits roll and they show the Make A Wish Foundation logo. My one kid happened to be watching the video with me and saw all the credits. She asked what this foundation was. I explained that there are many sick kids that will die. The foundation grants children wishes to them and their families so that they all will remember a truly unique event/activity together. So the child makes a wish and hopefully it is the day/event that they wished for.

I started to tear up when the following conversation continued:

"Why can't they wish for a longer life?"

"Honey, I'm sure they do...every single day. But sometimes it's just not possible."

"But why isn't it possible?"

"Because some kids are just very sick and we just don't know how to fix them."

I know I complain about how frustrating parenthood is sometimes. But it's nothing comopared to what these kids and families have to go through. Thank you UBC for making a fun video...but if anything, I hope it makes a ton of donations for Make A Wish.

No comments: