Sunday, April 3, 2011

Election Time

As we all know, the next Canadian election will be held on May 2. I'll be out there voting. I always go because I know how fortunate we are to have the right to vote in a democratic society.

Usually I'm sure of who I will vote for...but this time, I'm not so sure. Lots of questions I have and I don't like any of the answers. And some of the platforms are just recycled platforms from previous years.

For years, my parents never voted. And I got really upset with them. They have been given the opportunity to vote and to be heard. For them to squander that seemed crazy. So we had our talk and eventually they started to vote. And they have voted in every election every since. I think that's fantastic.

What's more interesting is that they have a fricken political sign up...and it's not a political sign that I thought they would have up! I asked them about it because I was very interested in why and when in the world did they switch to be a supporter of a different political party. Basically, they didn't like the work or platform of their previous party which they followed for years and decided to switch. Well. I was gobsmacked. But I was also very happy that they were really getting to be a part of this process.

Nice job parental units! But it doesn't mean I agree with them. =)

No comments: