Sunday, April 17, 2011

Coffee and Life

This afternoon, I was able to go out and meet a friend for coffee. It has been a long time since I've seen this friend, though we've kept in touch here and there. I met her while working at Coke (insert mocking here from a certain someone...LOL!).

My time with her was much too short today. But it was so great to just pick up where we left off. And one of the things we talked about was how cancer affected our own personal lives. In this case though, she was the patient.

What's more interesting was the conversation about supports and how people deal with stuff like this. After 2 bouts of cancer for my husband, I know who my real friends are and who isn't. I know that those that you count on and thought would be there might not be. And that's because they don't want to deal with it, it's cumbersome, they're scared and they don't know what to do. Unfortunately for my friend, she is finding out who her real supports are...and she's sorely disappointed.

If you don't know how to deal with someone's diagnosis...then just ask. I know it can be scary and so hard to deal with. But it's not about you, it's about your loved ones and what they need at that point. Having dealt with sick family/friends before, I know it doesn't take much to make them feel loved and supported. And really, if it could possibly be their last days on earth, don't you think that might be a little more important than your feelings of being scared?

No comments: