Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Imperfectionism

I was surfing last week and caught a speaker on PBS speaking about letting go of who you think you're supposed to be and being who you really are. That really grabbed my attention. So I went to see when it was on again and PVR'd it. Add Image I checked my PVR the other night and saw that the whole show was taped. I started to watch it and was very much intrigued. I haven't finished watching it. But I really liked the premise of it...talking about why imperfectionism is a gift. And why we should embrace this rather than be ashamed about it. She also talked about other variables that can add to the idea of our own imperfection: shame and guilt. Her ideas and studies behind these variables are interesting (yes, I'm geeky and love this scientific stuff). I thought about what she said and thought how it had a bearing on my life. And many aspects of her presentation is what I do think of myself and what I tell others. I really do know I'm imperfect and I'm most of the time ok with it. I can't be what everybody else wants me to be because that's now who I am. And when I do try to be what others want, I get resentful and very angry. So I'm imperfect. I don't need to compare myself to others as I'm just setting myself up for failure. As mentioned, I haven't watched the whole program, but I got to the part of living whole heartedly. See graphic below. I am looking forward to hearing the rest. If you're interested, it should be on PBS soon. Or google Brené Brown, check out her website, find her on PBS, or on Ted.com (love TED!).


No comments: