Friday, July 30, 2010

Diseases

There are so many diseases out there...all bad in their own way. Let's be honest, there is no "good disease." But what never ceases to amaze me is how some diseases really knows no age and has no bounds. Cancer is one of them.

I'll be going in with my husband for his annual cancer check. As always, I hope everything will be ok. And heaven forbid, if it is not, I will deal with it. Simple as that.

But this year, I have someone else on my mind too. My girlfriend's mom just got diagnosed recently. I think she is still in shock. And I don't blame her. I think her parents were really sparing the kids the news, even though the kids are in their 30s. There is no judgement of their choice in doing that...but because of this, my friend was extra shocked when she found out the news.

I could only offer up a listening ear, provide a bit of experience and try to prep her for what will come. And how can someone really prep you for something like this as every experience is so different.

And really, everybody in this situation has a choice to make. Either they will come together stronger than ever and fight off this ugly disease as a family, or they can let the cancer tear the family apart. Knowing what I know about this family, they're going to kick cancer's ass.

No comments: