Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pavlovian

My eldest kid has been asking my husband to pick her up from daycare at night. She's said on more than 1 occassion that she doesn't like it when I pick her up. I must admit, I was slightly crushed. I always thought we had a really good relationship and couldn't figure out what was going on.

And sure enough, she asked her dad..."Daddy, what day are you picking me up?" As a mom, how does that make you feel. Pretty crappy.

So, when I went to go pick her up tonight, I asked the caregivers to do me a favour. Maybe they could just ask her here and there why she likes daddy picking her up and not mommy. I've tried different ways of asking and not getting an answer. Figured maybe the care givers could get something out of her.

As one caregiver said, "It's not rocket science...your husband takes her to McDonald's each time he picks her up."

I am happy that the two of them have their little ritual and time together and I can finally understand what's going on. But how is a mom supposed to compete with a happy meal?

No comments: