Thursday, January 31, 2013

Meeting

Been out of commission there for a bit.  Work was a bit busy leading up to a meeting for one of our business lines.  To me, it was a mini conference.  

I asked someone for some feedback today about something at the conference.  This person is honest but is great at giving feedback (good or bad).  I really respect that.   Even when I've received criticism from this person, I've never taken it personally as the information and advice was given for my benefit.  And every single time I've listened, it has served me well.  

Having said that, this person said something to me that made me know that they understood my role very well.   And that is why I continue to go to them for advice.  They said that my role was a difficult one as I'm only given so much in resources (let's say $0 folks...call it what it is) and when things are going well, no one notices.  But when things go bad, everybody will know my name.   And in this case, no one noticed me. 

I haven't read the evaluation sheets.  I was too tired to care today.  Tomorrow is a new day and I can read them over with fresh eyes.  Some things I'm just not going to be able to do anything about.  Some are totally out of control, i.e. it's against policy or if I have no resources, I can't get certain speakers.  It just is.  

Until the next one.  Oh wait, that's in a couple of weeks.  .....

No comments: