Monday, November 12, 2012

Wizard of Oz

I have a girlfriend that has watched a gazillion movies.  And she's constantly amazed that I haven't watched certain movies.  Apparently they are rights of passage. 

But, my parents were immigrants and they weren't up on the latest and must see movies for kids.  So I'm finally making my way through some of these childhood movies that I have yet to see.

This weekend, finally watched the Wizard of Oz.   I think there is a certain charm to this movie, especially if you watch it from a child's perspective.  

But my life and adult perspective probably ruined this movie for me.  I still enjoyed it and glad I finally watched it.  But the take on this movie was not about innocence and Dorothy getting home.  

This movie had a real religious tone and religious perspective.  I thought I was kind of going nuts.  So I did a little research.  And sure enough, this was the author's perspective on what he thought of religion.  The symbolism and the what the characters were saying proved the point.   I was glad to actually see some papers out there about this.  

But of course, this is my perspective and what some other folks are thinking.  Whether or not it is a religious movie, I can say I finally watched it.  Tick off my movie bucket list.  

No comments: