Saturday, November 24, 2012

New Office

I've been at the new office for a couple of weeks now.  It's been a real change for me.  I used to work downtown, but I used to also live a lot closer than I do now.    

Let me start with the bad:

  • I'm up at 4:45am...the sad part is, some folks have to wake up even earlier than me to start work early.
  • I'm commuting by 5:40am
  • I usually get to work by 6:35 (when I carpool) but my contract says I can't start until 7
  • Bussing it in the morning also sucks because I have my laptop on my back
  • Commuting home...well, that's just long.  Leave at 3:30pm and don't get home until 4:50pm only to then drop off my stuff at home, take the car and go pick up the kids.  
  • Of course, commuting longer means less time for all the other things I have to do
Am I complaining?  Probably a bit here.  Having that much time taken away from me just for commuting just bites.  

But, there are some upsides to moving:

  • My new view is actually my old view when I used to work on the same floor - and it sure beats seeing homeless people urinate in the alley
  • I get to work at home which means that I'm not doing that terrible schedule everyday
  • I'm close by my bank!!!  Yeah, not huge for others, but that's huge for me!
  • Close by Canada Post!  Again, big for me as I'm always buying stamps and mailing stuff.
  • Meeting up with some friends I haven't seen for ages.  I've forgotten how many people I used to work with that still work downtown.
So the "bad" probably still outweigh the "pros."  But it is what it is.  I'm thankful I'm working and didn't get chopped during the big lay-offs.   

Like everything else...I'll figure it out and make it work for me.  

No comments: