Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Grey Hair

I love my kids.  But I also know that they are a real source of my grey hair!  My goodness! 

Today, I was in a meeting.  But when I got out, I noticed that my cell phone and work voicemail had messages on it.  Not a phone number I recognized.  But when I checked my voicemail, I could tell it was from the school.  The school principal called.  Honestly, I thought she was calling about my eldest as she was coughing last night.  Maybe she was coughing too much today? 

Nope.  All I heard was a really zen voice on the other end that my kid had bumped into another kid.  Ok, I could handle that.  Kudos for her calling.  Then I kept listening and I hear that my kid's one pupil isn't dilating the same way as her other one. Soon as I heard that, I was thinking full on concussion.  Bah.  I already had one kid that fractured her skull...now this?  It isn't a competition!!!

Called my hubby.  He got the call from the school and was on his way to the hospital as the Principal had taken our kid there.  The hospital?  Dang.  This is not good.   He told me to stay put because if she has to be transferred to the Children's Hospital, I would be close by and could meet us there.  

 Tell that to a mother who can't do anything but wait.  It's not fun.  But it's all I could do.  For those that I told, they were very sympathetic as they were all parents.   I tried to be calm but my eyes were welling up with tears.  I felt like I was pretty calm.  But the reaction of being scared for my kidlet made me tear up.  I don't need accidents to remind me of what is important in life.  But maybe the universe had something else in mind for me.  

Finally, a text from my husband saying what was happening.  Still had to wait for final instructions. When they finally came, he said he'd take the kid home and I could stay at work.  Really?  He thinks I can actually stay at work and concentrate?!  No way!  I wanted to see my baby and see for myself she was fine.  So I booted out of the office to head home.  

It's going to be a long night though.  Waking up every couple of hours to wake up my kid to ensure she is waking up appropriately and check on possible signs of a concussion.  Let's just hope it's a tiring night and nothing to do with a concussion.  I'll do it though.  Small price to pay to make sure that she is fine.  

So a couple of more grey hairs to add to my current collection.  It's all good.  

No comments: