Friday, March 9, 2012

Backstage Pass

I don't know what my problem is...but I'm always up to something.   Shennanigans I say!


So, the latest shennanigan I got myself into was winning myself the All Access Backstage Pass with the Kid Carson Show on The Beat 94.5!   Winning this contest meant I got to go to the studios, tour around, meet the folks on the show, see how things work, chat a little on air and get some free swag.  All around good time!


I took my friend Tammy.  She's interested in radio and seems to like these types of shennanigans so she was all in when I asked her to come with me.  What a good sport!  


So today was the day to go to the show.  I brought some cookies because sharing is caring.  =)  


Met with Ashley (promotions).  She was our tour guide!  She took us around the offices showing us the different departments and what they do.  


Then we ventured to studio 1 where Andrew the Intern was manning the booth!  (I love this kid and seriously, I can call him a kid)  There is a clear window from this booth so he can see what the other part of the crew is doing but he can chat and do whatever in his booth.   This is also where Andrew takes the calls, does some planning, gets the info to the rest of the crew, and is at the crew's becking call.  He was really great in explaining what happens, how the show runs, etc. I was quite amused by all the "wrong" telephone calls he gets...people calling the station for a contest on another radio station.  And of course, hearing stories about his mother.  Precious.  


Kid, Nira and Amy came in to say hello, grabbed some cookies before they headed back to the show.  It was fun to see and hear them banter on the other side.  


And before you know it, it was time for Tammy and I to head into Studio 2 where the show was happening.  There was only one mike so I did most of the talking.  Andrew had asked us some questions in Studio 1 so I figured the crew would ask about my kids, music I like, upcoming concerts I'm heading to...really generic stuff.  But that changed real quickly before we went on air.  I asked Nira if she loved Oprah as I was pretty sure she did.  Her eyes widened and she said yes!!!  


I quickly told her about the 2 shows I attended to see Oprah and how Oprah shook my hand.  Next thing I know, we're on air and Kid says something along the lines of "...guests that come in with interesting stories...tell me about Oprah."  Ok!  Let me tell you about Oprah.  My whole segment was about Oprah.  Dude.  Obviously you don't know me well enough.  I could go ON and ON about Oprah.  Go ahead, snicker away because I'm snickering myself.  


And before I knew it, show was over and off to get my swag and the remainder of the tour.  Ashley was so funny...she introduced us to some folks and then continued to say, "...and I have to tell them about your Oprah story!"  


Thanks Oprah.  See what doors you've opened for me?  


So giggles and good times all around.  My one friend asked me if I was stalking DJs as the last  radio contest was also hanging out with a DJ.  Maybe I should just ask to be on all the morning shows.   LOL!






Off to figure out my next shennanigan!

No comments: