Saturday, March 3, 2012

Change

Like death and taxes, change is a certainty.   Though, as humans, we don't always welcome change.  But change can be a good thing...or it can become a good thing based on perspective.  

I, like the rest of staff, were notified that our office was moving to Downtown Vancouver.   Let's just say, it was a good thing I wasn't in the office that day and was actually working at home.  Those that had to listen to my wrath, sorry.  But I was pretty upset because it was a big enough change that will adversely affect my work life balance and I wasn't happy about it.  Granted, this was my first world problem of the day.  

After I had my day of processing, ranting and raving and goodness knows what else, I settled down and came up with a plan for myself.  Yes, I could have continued to sulk and feel sorry for myself and just be plain miserable and be miserable to those around me....but no.  I refuse to live that way.  

The people I feel most sorry for are those that are lower paid in the organization who will really feel the brunt of having to pay for parking (if they choose that route), or those that have a more delicate work life balance than me, and those that have no other work arrangements that will work for them.   

Granted, I have my ideas in mind, but whether or not the ideas are accepted are a whole other ball game.  And at that time, whatever is decided, I can reassess once again.   But at least I can at least think that I have other options at this time.  

I know the changes will keep coming in work, family and life.  And that's just the way it is.  I have choices in every situation.  I can accept the change and continue to be mad and then bring that toxicity to those around me, or I can accept that the situation itself won't change, but I can make other choices which gives me control of the situation and helps me deal better with the change.  Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still yap about this until the move, but I know this isn't the worst that could ever happen to me.  

And ironically, I had to tell myself to be careful what you wish for.  The building and floor we are going to is a place I used to work at and I loved it!  But I was in a different situation and living much closer.  My position ended so I went to another office.  And I remember at that time saying to myself, "gosh, it would be nice to work at this office again."  Guess the universe was listening and I got my wish.  

Ok universe, listen to this...I really want to win the lotto...REALLY want to win it.  I'm ready for it.  =) 

No comments: