Saturday, February 4, 2012

Small Break

I've been knitting scarves for a while for the downtown eastside.  I buy my own yarn and then knit as many scarves as I can throughout the year in time for winter.  Then I either go and give the scarves out or I just give them to an organization/group that can take those scarves and give them to those on the street that need them most.  I can't get out to volunteer so this is a great way for me to give back in some small way.

But lately, I've been knitting for Knit-A-Square too.  Basically, it's an organization that helps infants with AIDS in Africa.  I can knit a couple of things...but I've kept to the knit squares.  These squares along with other squares that others have donated around the world are stitched together to make blankets for children inflicted with this terrible disease.  These children get very cold and these blankets help them immensely.  Again, it's my volunteer work and my way of giving back.  It's not a lot, but it's what I can do at this time.

However, I have had to give up this knitting for a very small period of time.  Hula girl needs me.  I'm taking her on another road trip and making her a knitted skirt.  Not very pretty.  But every hula girl needs something warm to wear if she's heading somewhere a little colder.

After knitting the skirt, I will be back to knitting for my charities.

2 comments:

T said...

I can't believe you're actually knitting her a skirt!?!?! ROFL!

Peachy said...

ROFL! Don't think it's "extra" fancy or anything. But hula girl can't get cold while on a road trip! It's not like we're going to the warmest place!