Friday, February 10, 2012

Facebook


It took me a long time to join Facebook.  Part of my resistance was that I really felt that people could pick up the phone to call me to tell me something.  But really, with everybody's schedules, kids, and goodness knows what else, it's not always easy to pick up the phone.  E-mail is great...but sometimes, you just need something quick.

I must admit that Facebook has given me a chance to catch up with some people quickly and easily.  Facebook has allowed me to get in touch with some people that I lost touch with.  I've also received a ton of great coupons due to Facebook offers.  Oooo...today I used my 12 pack Keurig coffee disks coupon...worth $10.99!  And I like my games...a lot.  Quick games that I can walk away from.  All great benefits.

However, I have my issues with Facebook too.   My list of FB complaints:

1) I hate lurkers.  They suck.  Literally.  You can't go on FB and read everybody's status all the time, never make a comment to people's statuses and then when you see the person "live," you make some comment about their status.  Hmmm...you get to know about everybody else but no one gets to hear about what is going on in your life?  I think it's rude.  Make a comment here and there.

2) I hate lurkers.  Yeah, for a second reason I hate them.  They never put up a status update.  I mean, once every month isn't too much of a hardship is it?  Again, you read up on everybody and don't even give a morsel to anybody?  Please.  It's not fair that you don't share.  If you're not going to, then get off FB.

3) Then there are those that tell me everything that is happening in their day.  Really?  Do I need to know that you just peed 3 times today and now you're off for a jog.  Now that you're back from your jog, you're going to take a shower.  Ooo...then you're having a snack.  Better yet, let me take a picture of that snack.  Then let me see a picture of your plate empty.  For sure, give me pictures and status updates, but EVERY moment of your day?  That is too much.

4)  Copy This junkies.  Hey, I'm ok with people copying and pasting other people's status updates.  But I can't stand seeing the same people post up those comments/sayings/posters about whatever...and it ending with, "If you care, post on your status."  Or "share, or if you don't, you're heartless."  Or better yet, the sayings where it's "take me as I am.  If you don't like it, then you don't deserve me."  But every one of your status updates is a copied and not even your own words?    

5) And my last issue...FISHERS.  Those that put those status updates that make it vague and they're literally fishing for a compliment or for people to ask what's wrong.  Why don't you just tell us all?  Why are you making us ask in some drawn out fashion? If it's such a big deal, WHY are you posting it?!!   It's tiresome to have fishers and now I don't even bother asking. If I ask, it's because they are a close friend and I just contact them instead rather than respond to the status update.  

FB.  It's a love hate thing.



No comments: