Sunday, January 10, 2010

People

The work that I do at the workplace is quite varied and interesting. But the reality is, no one really knows what I do. Everything I do is behind the scenes, a bit on the hush-hush side. In a way, it's a real thankless job because 90% of the people have no clue how much I do that affects the workplace. That's ok. As long as people aren't complaining about "stuff" then I know I'm doing my job properly.

On Friday, we had our Deputy Minister and Assistant Deputy Minister come into the workplace. For our operation, it's a big deal. For me, I couldn't care less. But there was lots to do to prepare for the session. One of the items was to ensure that everybody got a copy of a presentation that was going to take place. No big deal. I did make a special copy for one employee...basically it was larger as she doesn't like small print and her eyes are not great. No big deal as it's my job to know these small details and just make it happen. However, I wasn't prepared for the conversation that went the package when I handed the package to the employee.

"Here you go. I knew that you wanted larger print so I made sure I made a copy and wanted to hand it to you personally."

"Oh, that's great! I really do need it in bigger print."

"No problem."

"Anyways, if you had given it to me in smaller print, I would have made you go and do it again. I refuse to read something smaller. And it's people like you that don't complain to management that will have your eyes ruined because you allow for people to give you smaller print items."

"Well, I try my best to make sure that I don't have to do it again because I understand what you're needing."

"Well, it's big enough and this is good. But I would have absolutely made you redo it for me."

Who the hell does this person think she is?! She's not my boss. And how about a simple thank you. Or how about nothing? Whatever happened to the saying of if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all? I would have preferred that in this case.

No comments: