Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

Well, another Mother's Day has come and pretty much gone. It was not my usual Mother's Day celebration though. No spa, no real time to myself. But I say that not to complain, but only to say that it was different from my other Mother's Day.

I invited my in laws to come by for brunch a couple of days ago...including my brother in law and his wife. As well, I asked my parents to come out. But my mother in law had to work so she wasn't going to make it. I told my brother in law that we may want to just all celebrate another time together...from his place to my place it's quite far...so no point in coming by if his stepmom wasn't going to be there too. My parents had already agreed, so they came out to my house for brunch. I cooked everything which is fine because I ended up making food that people liked. And my kids ate a ton. Yeah. Those are good days. My parents didn't bicker. We just all had a nice morning together.

Then I got my parents to help out for about 1/2 hour while my husband and I hopped up to the insurance place. We finally sold our VW and I needed to cancel my insurance. Did you know that you have to pay $30 to cancel insurance? Those guys will charge you on everything.

And here's the unusual part of my Mother's Day. I drove my parents back home to Vancouver as I had a 2pm appointment today. In fact, it was an actual audition for the 2010 Olympic Opening and Closing Ceremonies. When I got the call last Thursday, I was very happy. Though I did ask what category they put me in. The lady on the other end said musician. WHAT?!! I asked her to clarify and she said that I had answered the special talent section with the ability to play percussion. Yep, that's true...taiko. I had to make it REAL clear that I wasn't an expert or pro. The woman just laughed and said I'm in that group. Ok.....

So, while I drove to the appointment, I had visions of really skinny, athletic people with musical talents. I was pleasantly suprised to see all ages (teenagers to seniors) and all sizes of people there. Made me feel better.

The check in process was over an hour. Lots to do. Like really embarassing things. Verification of id was fine. But then it was body measurements time. I didn't like hearing those numbers. Then it was mug shot time. But the mug shot apparently wasn't enough. They have to take a body shot too. Ech. Thank goodness I couldn't see the pictures. After check in, it was just sit and wait time. I got to watch clips of the Salt Lake City and Torino opening ceremonies. I swear...I'm such a loser. I kept saying " don't cry here...you'll look like a total idiot!!" But watching the opening ceremonies in any country makes me weepy eyed.

Then it was off to the "movement room." Well, I have to say that these Olympic folks are all about spirit. I didn't understand what all the noise was about. But everybody in that room (observers, camera folks, sound people, etc.) were all clapping and cheering for all of us going in. If that doesn't boost a person's spirit and confidence, I don't know what will.

The first exercise was an icebreaker. Easy stuff. Next we were put in groups and each group was taught a dance routine that we had to learn in less than 5 minutes. Yeah, a dance routine. The point of this audition was to see if musicians could also dance. Seriously. That's what they said. I didn't embarrass myself on this one...so that's good.

Then I got a second dance routine. Little tougher, but again, in less than 5 minutes.

Each one of these routines was performed by each group (5 in total today) and while we were "dancing," we were also videotaped and judged. But the fantastic part was after each group went, the cheers and claps were all so loud and supportive.

Then we had to learn one last routine. I thought the last 2 were pretty easy. Then they did this one and I had to turn to the girl next to me and say, "for real?!" It was Motown style. Umm. I can barely dance and you want me to look cool, dance, smile and keep up with a motown song? The funny part was that we literally had 3 minutes to learn this baby. But I did and I even shimmied.

After dancing, we had to say some message to the world as part of a videotape thing they were doing. Dang. At least I had a decent hair day today.

So, no time for myself. But auditioning for what I call the "Chorus Line" was actually a ton of fun. We'll see how it goes. At least I didn't look like this guy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktHxY30xImA

No comments: