Thursday, May 7, 2009

Happy Day

When I woke up this morning, I just thought it would be a fairly normal day. The only difference was that I was going downtown for some emergency preparedness seminars and I had a doctor's appointment at 7:30am.

So, when I got to the doctor's, I was prepared. I brought both of my blood pressure monitors because he wanted to verify that they were giving accurate readings. I broght my last month's blood pressure readings for almost everyday. Anyone who has seen me with my little folder of numbers...you'll know that I've been using the livestrong.com Daily Plate website for counting calories, determing calories burned from exercise and determing my sodium levels, etc. EXCELLENT website that does all the work for you. I've been watching that sodium level and I've tried to remain below and not exceed. I wanted to show my doctor that I actually took my health seriously.

I was really proud of myself and all that I've accomplished in the last month. So, when I strapped on my monitor to show him what the reading was for that morning, I was confident that it was going to be good. He said that most folks will have elevated readings because they're in a doctor's office. Frick. I was so pissed! My reading was 150/102. That's fricken high. He then took his "accurate" machine and measured my blood pressure. And he got the same numbers as me. And he told me I didn't have to go to such detail with my daily intake, etc (seriously, when exported into excel...it's 2 pages in length). BUT, he was happy that my monitor was accurate, the numbers I got at home were good, and he's happy that I kept up with my exercise. From my doctor, that's really good.

Off to drop off my kid at her daycare. By this point, there wasn't enough time to go to the office to check in...so I went straight to my seminar downtown. But I got there somewhat early and got a chance to browse in Chapters...all by my lonseome self. I love being surrounded by so many books and having a quite place to explore. I left with 2 wonderful books AND I had enough on my gift certificate to pay for. Bliss. Of course, after visiting a bookstore, Starbucks is a must. Yes, a caramel macchiato. I'm thinking this is only 10am, the day is awesome.

The seminars went really well and I felt I learned something for once. I had a girlfriend also go to these seminars so I had a chance to have lunch with her and chill. But we had enough time after lunch to do a little shopping before our next session! Though we bought nothing, we got to shop!

After my last session, time to go pick up my kid. But it was a bit too early and they wouldn't have had snack time yet. So, I stayed downtown and did some more shopping. Bought nothing, but it was just fun to browse.

When I got to my kid's daycare, I caught Show and Tell circle time! Got to see my kid in action. She brought a hamburger mirror and her friends loved it. Only kids could love a hamburger mirror and only a Korean store would sell something like that.

And while I drove home...some of the best tunes that I know were playing on the radio. I cranked that baby up and sang out of tune. Didn't matter...and my kid knows I'm a bad singer. At least she wasn't howling.

When I got home...my kids talked to me and told me things that they loved about me.

So, nothing spectacular happened. But it was all these lovely moments that didn't cause me one bit of grief strung together that made it a great day. For some, this may be boring as hell. For me, it was just a great break from hectic life.

No comments: