Thursday, May 28, 2009

Blogging

Someone mentioned to me that I hadn't written in a while. Sometimes I just feel that what I have to say or what I think isn't that interesting. Then she said, "you haven't written for 2 weeks. Your last entry was Mother's Day." Well Miss D, just for you, a couple of entries are being written today. Thanks for making me feel interesting. =)

So, today, I finally got the call from the Coke-a-Cola company. I recently applied for a job with them during the Olympics. For once, I actually enjoyed my interviews with them as it was casual and it was all about the Olympics and a bit about my experience. There are nay-sayers out there about the Olympics. That's fine. You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. But I hate to tell you, the games are coming regardless of what you think. And you can't quash my Olympic spirit. Anyways, I digress. The contract is coming for me to sign and it will be a done deal.

Before I got the job, I had applied to volunteer at the Olympics, audition for the opening and closing ceremonies and to carry the torch. I wanted to keep all my options open. In a nutshell, some of the other opportunities will not show themselves in one way or another anytime soon due to the sheer number of folks that applied to the event. So I decided to take this Coke job right away. Part of the reason is that it pays. In the end, I'll make some great contacts and be able to use that money to create other memories and of course, add a little to the next egg. Those are not bad reasons to take a job at all. In fact, they are probably all the right reasons to take the job.

During my interview, I did ask if I could also do the opening ceremonies. That would be an incredible experience and I would want that. Selfish. Perhaps. But I say ask for the world, work hard for those ideas/dreams/wants to become a reality and see what comes to you.

It's not a given at this time and I just have to be patient and wait to see if I actually get it. However, Coke is willing to think about the idea of me doing it if I were to get the opening and closing ceremonies gig. (I was originally told that on opening day, all Coke staff had to work). They mentioned that 90% of all accomodations are given so it bodes well for me.

But either way, I will get an opportunity to do something related to the Olympics. I'm excited at the prospect of meeting new people. The interviewers mentioned that at every Olympics that they've worked at, the Coke staff continue to be friends afterwards because working during the Olympics is such a unique experience that you just can't buy. And as I've always said, if these are the toughest decisions I have to make these days, then life is pretty darn good.

And by the way, there was a Coke Olympic video that I got to watch at the end of my interview. This video will be coming out closer to the games. I cried my eyes out. But then, I probably cry at every damn Olympic video.

No comments: