Thursday, June 13, 2013

Friendships

As my kids get older, the conversations become different.  I don't have to talk about Dora or High 5.  I don't have to talk about poop and farts.  Well, maybe a little on the poop and farts.
But it really is nice to have deeper conversations with them. 

Last night, we were at the dinner table just talking about our days.  Homework, daycare, school.  Then they started talking about their friends.  "I like C. because she's funny, silly but really, really nice.  We share the same interest in art and she's really talented."  

Well, that's lovely and all.  But I would ask them how that friend made them feel?  "Oh, I feel really good around them.  They give me energy and it's fun."  

And what was interesting to me is who they talked about next.  They both are having issues with a girl in school/daycare.  They started listing out all the things that this little girl has done that they don't like.  And it's a pretty big list.   When I asked them if they play with her, they both said, "no way!"  "I don't like her because she says yucky things about others."  "I don't like her because she gives ultimatums!!"  

Granted, we are not talking about full on betrayals or anything crazy like on Desperate Housewives.  But I can see that they are understanding the complexities of friendships and how they can make you feel.   Friendships should make you feel good and restored, not depleted.  And it's nice to see that they're making good choices in terms of their friends that support them and make them feel good. 

Ok.  I'm taking a small moment to congratulate myself for not being a total failure of a mother.  

No comments: