Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Competitiveness

I think competitiveness is a good thing. It pushes us to be better at whatever it is. But just like anything else, there's a limit. Case and point, a dad at my youngest kid's daycare.

For a while I've seen this dad drop off his kid in the morning. And for a while, it was the usual, "hello, good morning." Fine by me. But then one morning, he started to tell me that the only way he can get his kid up in the morning is to tell him that he wants to beat my kid to school. Ok, that's fine.

But when I see the dad in the morning and he is there before me, he'll say things like, "oh, we beat you today. Guess you guys couldn't get up quickly enough." Ummm. I'm at the office at 7. I can drop in whenever.

But what really pissed me off is when we got there to the parking lot at the same time. I tried to make it light because I honestly couldn't care less who got there first. I said to the son, not even the dad...but the son and said, "Hey, we both made it at the same time! Great!" And the dad says, "Yes, but we'll get inside before you so we beat you."

Ummm. Doesn't that seem juvenile?! Slightly? And it's from there that I really understood why I didn't take to his son. His son shows the same traits as his dad.

I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree...but I don't have to like it.

1 comment:

Cheryl Anne said...

Too funny! The things people say!