Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day

Every year...this date comes up. And I keep saying the same thing. I don't like Valentine's Day. It's too commercial. It's kind of stupid...the only day that you show someone that you really love them? I don't think so.

And I can't even imagine going out on that "special day." Paying double for everything and having it tremendously busy....and having everybody profess their love. Bleah. I don't care, call me a downer.

I had asked my family and they agreed that we could have our own little festivities for this special day. My kids were really excited about Valentine's and I didn't want to not do anything. But I didn't want to hype it up so much that it was the end all be all type of event.

So, my eldest went to Mandarin school that morning while the youngest went shopping with me. When they got home, we had lunch. Nothing special but we ate together. Then we baked heart shaped cakes, we played some butterfly game thingy, and then off to the video store. We had yummy food and watched Beauty and the Beast with the kids. They had a ton of special treats while watching the movie. They had a blast. My husband and I enjoyed watching them have so much fun. Simple things that made for a great day. Maybe I'll start to like Valentine's a little again....

No comments: