Monday, February 16, 2009

Date

My husband had a couple of days that he had to take off from work. Something about no rolling over time, yet everybody in the office seemed to. So, we thought it would be fun to have a date day...and we had that today!

We started the morning by taking the kids to their respective daycares and then headed off downtown. The stores weren't open yet, so we ended up going to the coffee place where we first met. Seemed fitting! And having a much needed coffee was an extra bonus.

I thought the stores opened at 9:30, but in fact, it was 10. So we just wandered, checked out how downtown has changed. It was a beautiful day so it didn't matter that we were outside just wandering. To kill some more time, we went to Chapters. LOVE that place. It was quiet, we had time to browse, and it's a bookstore...what's not to love about a bookstore?!

Then we went off shopping. My husband was so sweet and he got me two pairs of shoes...even a clunky pair that he's not so fond of. But I need some clunky shoes for casual wear and that I can wear socks with! Some shoes, you can't wear socks with. Women understand this. Off to the comic store for my hubby. He wanted to get the Watchmen comic. Hey, as long as he likes it, good enough for me. Then we found a great t-shirt store for my husband. And I got him some shirts as he's been looking for some for a while. I also found a smoking deal for sandals for myself at this store! Summer is actually going to come this year.

We wanted to shop more, but it was time to go for lunch before heading to the movies. We went to the Revolving Tower at Harbour Centre. Pricey...yep. Beautiful...absolutely. It was just a perfect day for an endless view. The food was good. And it was quiet. I'm sure all parents can attest to the fact that it's nice to have some quiet time and some time to just be with a loved one without being tugged on the whole time.

After a beautiful lunch, off to the movies to watch Slumdog Millionaire. Watching all the press on this, we figured it would be a good movie to watch. And basically, it was the only good thing playing at this one theatre! Bit of a sad movie, but truly a fantastic film. I hope it does well at the Oscars. And seriously, the female lead is SO gorgeous. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

And just like that, our date was coming to an end. We had to go pick up the kids. I didn't even bother making a "proper" dinner. It's whatever was easiest. Figured I had a good day of just enjoying, I enjoyed the rest of the night. Didn't bother with chores (except to make lunches for everybody), didn't exercise, didn't do my kid's mandarin homework. Nothing. And I don't feel guilty at all.

It's true that dates have to be made with your spouse in order to make sure that you both know that you love each other. And just to be with your spouse as adults...not as adults with kids. I hope to have more dates with my husband soon. I really had such a wonderful day....

No comments: