Sunday, August 19, 2012

Funeral Friday

As mentioned, my husband's co-worker recently passed away after her tremendous and extremely courageous battle with cancer.  As hubby was away for business and a conference, he wasn't able to attend the funeral.  So I attended for him.  It was an opportunity for me to say goodbye too.  Such a beautiful and wonderful person.

I've been to a number of funerals before.  They're just not something I like going to.  But it's something that you have to do.  And really, it's not about me.  It's about supporting the family and friends, to honour the person that passed and depending on how close you are to the person, an opportunity for closure.  

This one was at a fairly large church.  Probably could fit 500 people.  And as we got closer to the start time of the funeral, I could see the church getting filled up.   By the time we got started, the church was packed completely and there folks standing.  

There was a lot of song and prayer through this.  Though I didn't know the prayers...I have to admit I knew quite a few songs.  See, those Christian concerts totally helped me out!!   Some of the singers were absolutely amazing.   

There were so many wonderful things said about this person.  Her life was full!   Though there was sadness in the day due to this passing, there was also so much "joy" as this person was no longer suffering.  And the faith of those there that day, they knew they would see her once again.  

As I said, I really dislike funerals because of what it means.  But by far, this was probably the most "positive" funeral I've ever been to.  And more importantly, we celebrated a person who lived a good life, who made differences to those around her and the world, and I know for sure that she was truly loved.  

No comments: